PHP – Take advantage of language constructs
- Fastest things in PHP are the language constructs.
- They are highly optimized in the interpreter
- Don’t require calling external libraries
- Don’t call a function if there is a language construct. As an example, using a casting operator like (int) $total is much more efficient than using the function intval($foo)
- Function calling generate considerably amount of overhead. Using a language construct avoid
- isset() and unset() are both language constructs, even though they mostly act like functions. However calling them does not generate the function overhead.
Some common language constructs are: